News‎ > ‎Archived News‎ > ‎

St. Rynagh's Football Club Notes : 5th September

posted 5 Sep 2011, 01:45 by Unknown user   [ updated 2 Jan 2013, 04:43 ]
In preparation for our U14B semi final, St Rynaghs footballers played Athlone in a challenge match on Wednesday evening 31st August at Cloghan GAA grounds.  The score at half time was Athlone 5-12 St Rynaghs 1-12.  In fairness to the lads they picked up the performance in the second half outscoring Athlone by 9 points to 1-3.  Best for St Rynaghs on the evening:  Graeme Daly could do nothing about the five goals that went past him.  Aaron Daly was playing well until he went off injured.  Kealin Kelly played well at left corner back.  Ryan Buckley played a great second half at right half back.  Ronan Butler came into his own at mid field in the second half and in the forwards the hard working  Eoin Woods and Enda Flynn at left corner forward were best on the evening.  St Rynaghs Team: Graeme Daly, Aaron Daly, Ben Coneeley 0-1, Kealin Kelly, Ryan Buckley 0-3, Fergal Hanamy 0-1, Dara Tierney 0-1, Ronan Butler (Capt) 0-2, Eamon Corcoran, Danny Devery, Jarlath Stevenson, Eoin Flynn, Eoin Woods 1-2, Conor Kelly, Enda Flynn 0-1.  Subs: Aidan Cannon 0-1 for Eoin Flynn.  Sean Kilmartin for Aidan Cannon.  Cormac Mahon for Aaron Daly.  Sean Hanamy for Danny Devery.  Referee: Mel McIntyre, St Rynaghs.


Our senior footballers were beaten in the quarter final of the championship against Edenderry on Friday evening last in O’Connor Park, Tullamore. Full Time Score Edenderry 2-15 St Rynaghs 0-6.  We were well beaten in the end.  This is a very young St Rynaghs team.  We lost our first game to Gracefield by 2 points and everyone was saying we should be relegated back down to intermediate grade.  The lads bounced back with great wins against Ballycumber, Shamrock and Walsh island and in a great performance against Clara when we were 4 points down early in the second half we got a draw in a game we could have won.  Team captain Ger Rafferty always led his men with great courage and conviction.  To our team management of Enda Mulhare, Alo Brereton and Dinny Wynne a sincere thanks for a great season.  We have not reached this stage of the Offaly Senior Football championship  since 1970, also a word of thanks to team secretary Barry Rafferty.  Mister football in Cloghan the great PJ Camon who put in long hours looking after various teams in our club.  To our physical trainers Neil and Paul Buckley for the marvellous work they have done in the physical conditioning of the senior team and of course the 28 man squad of St Rynaghs Senior Footballers.  Hold your heads up high lads, the genuine supporters of St Rynaghs football club are very proud of you.


Our U14B footballers played Ballycumber Tubber in the semi final of the championship last Sunday morning in Ferbane.  The game was played in torrential rain.  St Rynaghs started off promisingly with right corner forward Eoin Woods scoring a point from play after 5 minutes.  Ballycumber Tubber replied straight away with a point from play.  On the 15 minute mark saints centre forward Ryan Buckley scored a great goal and the saints looked to be in the driving seat.  Between the 18 and 20 minute Ballycumber Tubber scored 2 goals of the soft nature and also scored two points from play to leave the score at half time Ballycumber Tubber 2-3 St Rynaghs 1-1.  Ballycumber Tubber  scored the first point of the second half in the first minute from a 30m free.  Almost immediately saints full forward Andy Flynn scored a fine goal.  Ballycumber Tubber replied with two 21m frees and on the 17th minute they scored their 3rd goal.  Again almost immediately left half forward Eoin Flynn scored St Rynaghs 3rd goal.  Ballycumber Tubber replied immediately with a point from play and on the 25th minute scored their 4th goal of the match.  Two minutes before the long whistle scored their final point from play to run out winners Ballycumber Tubber  4-8 St Rynaghs 3-1.  Ballycumber Tubber deserved their 10 point victory, their work rate and support play was top class.  Best of Luck to them In the final.  Best for St Rynaghs:  Aaron Daly played well at full back until he went off injured.  Kealin Kelly tried hard at right half back, like wise Fergal Hanamy at centre back.  Ben Coneeley tried hard in midfield and in the forwards  Eoin Woods and Andy Flynn worked very hard.  St Rynaghs Team:  Graeme Daly, Conor Kelly, Aaron Daly, Jarlath Stevenson, Ben Coneeley, Ronan Butler (Capt), Eamon Corcoran, Ryan Buckley 1-0, Eoin Flynn 1-0, Eoin Woods 0-1, Andy Flynn 1-0, Enda Flynn.  Subs:  Cormac Mahon for Conor Kelly.  Sean Hanamy for Aaron Daly (Inj).  Shane Daly for Jarlath Stevenson.  Danny Devery for Enda Flynn.  Aidan Cannon for Fergal Hanamy.  Referee:  Damien Brazil, Shannonbridge.


The club would like to wish Barry Rafferty and his fiancée Grainne the best of luck when they get married on this Saturday.  Everyone in St Rynaghs football club hope they have a happy and prosperous life together.


It was very sad news to hear the passing of Kieran Feeney of Belmont, Kieran was a great GAA man and a mighty character.  Deepest condolences to his family, may he rest in peace.  He will be sadly missed in GAA circles in Offaly.

Notes Written by Noel Rosney and Typed up by Jackie Coughlan.