News‎ > ‎Archived News‎ > ‎

St. Rynagh's Football Club Notes : 2nd May

posted 2 May 2011, 04:10 by Unknown user   [ updated 2 Jan 2013, 04:42 ]
St Rynaghs Senior Footballers played Caulry of Westmeath in Caulry on Easter Monday evening in a challenge match. First half scores were, goals from right half forward Joe Carroll, right half back Alan Camon and a goal and a point from left corner forward Niall Wynne. The other point scored by full forward Pat Camon left the score at half time St. Rynaghs 3-2 Caulry 0-6. In the second half centre forward Gary Mahon scored 3 points. Centre back Ger Rafferty scored a point. St Rynaghs goal was scored by midfielder Stephen Quirke and three points scored by subs Joseph O’Connor, Paudie Mulhare and left corner forward Niall Wynne. Caulry scored five points in the second half. Final score St Rynaghs 4-9 Caulry 0-11.
St Rynaghs Team: Gary Kelly, Tomas Flaherty, James Rafferty, Des O’Connor, Alan Camon 1-0, Ger Rafferty 0-1, Ivan Hanamy, Pat McIntyre, Paul Quirke 1-0, Joe Carroll 1-0, Gary Mahon 0-3, Gary O’Connor, Sean Kenny, Pat Camon 0-1, Niall Wynne 1-2. Subs: Conor Clancy for Gary Kelly, Paudie Mulhare 0-1 for Sean Kenny, Joseph O’Connor 0-1 for Des O’Connor, Paul Grogan for Ivan Hanamy.


Our U14 Footballers were out against Ballycumber-Tubber in the U14 championship on Friday evening last at Cloghan GAA grounds. Ballycumber-Tubber had a huge lead playing with the strong wind in the first half leading at half time Ballycumber-Tubber 3-10 St Rynaghs 1-2. St Rynaghs 1-2 coming from full forward Conor Kelly. The Saints in fairness missed 3 great goal chances in the first half. In the second half within the first five minutes again Conor Kelly had a goal and left corner forward Enda Flynn had a point from a 21m free. Ballycumber-Tubber hit back with a goal and three point. St Rynaghs did not raise their next white flag until the 20th minute, a great point from right half back Eoin Flynn. Ballycumber-Tubber replied with a 21m free. In the 25th and 27th minutes sub Sean Hanamy and midfielder Eoin Corcoran scored a point a piece. Ballycumber-Tubber replied with 2 white flags from play to leave the final score Ballycumber-Tubber 4-16 St Rynaghs 2-6. Best for St Rynaghs Aaron Daly tried hard at full back, Fergal Hanamy at centre forward. Darragh Tierney had a great game at left half back. Eoin Flynn when he moved into the forward line, Eamon Corcoran was sound in mid field and in the forwards Conor Kelly at full forward and in the left corner Enda Flynn were always a threat. St Rynaghs U14 Team: Donal Ryan, Mark Finnegan, Aaron Daly, Donny Devery, Eoin Flynn 0-1, Fergal Hanamy, Darragh Tierney, Ronan Butler (Capt), Eamon Corcoran 0-1, Mark Carroll, Ryan Buckley, Jarlath Stevenson, Ross Young, Conor Kelly 2-2, Enda Flynn 0-1. Subs: Shay Daly for Mark Finnegan, Sean Hanamy 0-1 for Mark Carroll. Referee: Seamus Flemming, Clara.


Our U10 footballers were due to play Shamrocks in Cloghan on Saturday Morning last. The referee Leonard Ryan from Lusmagh was present at the Cloghan Venue. Shamrocks failed to turn up for the match so the matter will be left up to the jurisdiction of Coiste na Nóg.


Our senior footballers played Gracefield in the first round of the championship at Killeigh on Saturday evening last. St Rynaghs played against a stiff wind in the first half and did quite well scoring 3 points. Gracefield scored a crucial goal midway through the first half and also put 5 points on the scoreboard. St Rynaghs were 5 points down at half time with the score Gracefield 1-5 St Rynaghs 0-3. Gracefield scored only 2 points in the second half to St Rynaghs 6 but it was enough to give them a one point victory. Final Score Gracefield 1-7 St Rynaghs 0-9. The fact of the matter is St Rynaghs missed several scoring chances in the second half and the lads know this game was theirs for the taking. They were guilty of kicking ridiculous high ball into a small full forward line and kicking the ball into the Gracefield goalkeeper, Jonathan Knights, hands on at least 5 occasions. As for sheer commitment and passion they could not be faulted. The next championship game is vital for senior championship survival and if they learn from their mistakes they can stay in senior grade. Gary Kelly was sound in goals and his kick outs against the strong wind in the first half were excellent. Tomas Flaherty played well at right corner back, his first half point an absolute gem. Alan Camon still a minor making his senior championship debut at right half back also played well. Paul Quirke did a lot of good work at midfield although Gracefield’s Brian Smyth made some great catches in the middle of the field. Ciaran Flannery when introduced for the injured Pat McIntyre took his point well and added at bit of fire power to a struggling forward line. Left corner forward Niall Wynne finished the game with five points to his name, two great points from play and right corner forward Sean Kenny skinned his opposite number in the first half but did not receive the same type of ball in the second half. St Rynaghs team: Gary Kelly, Tomas Flaherty 0-1, James Rafferty 0-1, Stephen Clancy, Alan Camon, Ger Rafferty (Capt), Joseph O’Connor, Pat McIntyre, Paul Quirke, Gary O’Connor, Gary Mahon 0-1, Joe Carroll, Sean Kenny, Pat Camon, Niall Wynne 0-5. Subs: Ciaran Flannery 0-1 for Pat McIntyre, Stephen Wynne for Gary O’Connor, Odhrán McIntyre for Stephen Wynne. Referee: Brian Gavin, Clara.

Top scorer Niall Wynne during warm up.....


Our Metal Scrap Collection took place on Easter Saturday last at Gem Garden Centre, Tonlemone and there was a great response from the community. The club would like to thank everyone who contributed in any way and also to thank Paddy Molloy of Gem Garden Centre for the use of his premises on the day.

Notes Written by Noel Rosney and Typed up by Jackie Coughlan.