News‎ > ‎Archived News‎ > ‎

St. Rynagh's Football Club Notes : 21st Feb

posted 24 Feb 2011, 15:51 by Unknown user   [ updated 2 Jan 2013, 04:42 ]
Our U21 footballers “Shannon Gaels” played St Colms in the refixtured first round of the championship on Friday night last, under floodlights at the Pullough venue. Continuous rain and heavy underfoot conditions made good football impossible. Niall Wynne raised the first white flag of the game with a pointed free for Shannon Gaels. St Colms replied with a goal and a point almost immediately. The goal was of a controversial nature with two St Colms forwards in the small square before the ball was kicked in. Shannon Gaels kicked two points on the 12 minute mark, a 20 metre free from right corner forward Niall Wynne and a great point from play by full forward Stephen Quirke. On the 20 minute St Colms scored a great point from play, however Diarmud Shortt and Pat Camon were beginning to dominate at midfield. St Colms defenders were made to pay for their consistent fouling with another pointed free by Niall Wynne. Three quarters way through the first half, midfielder Diarmud Shortt scored a massive point from play, St Colms replied with a point from a 21 metre free. Then the score of the match was a blistering solo run deep into the St Colms defence by the right half back Adam Smyth, he found Niall Wynne 30 metres out from goal and the latter scored a great point from play. Almost instantly left corner forward Odhrán McIntyre scored a great point from play and just before half time Niall Wynne scored Shannon Gaels crucial goal to leave the score Shannon Gaels 1-7 St Colms 1-3. It was a well deserved lead as Shannon Gaels had a legitimate claim to a penalty minutes before that, the referee choosing to throw in the ball on the 21 metre line. 
The second half was riddled with frees as both teams tried to come to terms with the poor weather conditions. Niall Wynne pointed two 40 metre frees. St Colms came back with a point from a 21 metre free. Niall Wynne showed his accuracy in front of goal with a 30 metre point from a free. St Colms came back on the 15 minute mark with a point from a 21 metre free. Niall Wynne replied with another pointed free from the 21 metre line. On the 25 minute mark St Colms had a point from play. Gaels centre forward Sean Kenny scored a great point out on the right wing. Just before the referees final whistle St Colms scored a point from play as Shannon Gaels ran out winners 1-12 to St Colms 1-7. This was not a great game of football by any means but the Shannon Gaels lads showed great endeavour and commitment on the night. Most of this team reached the Minor A Football Final last year. The team is coached by Enda Mulhare and his selectors are Roger Ryan, Gary Daly and Gerry Quirke. Also many thanks to Paul Buckley, Joe Carroll, Ger Flannery, PJ Camon and Barry Rafferty for helping with the team on the night. 
Best for Shannon Gaels were Conor Daly at left corner back, right half back Adam Smyth (Particularly in the first half), midfielders Pat Camon and Diarmud Shortt. Alan Kelly and Derek Loonam worked like Trojans’ in the half forward line and right corner forward Niall Wynne who scored and impressive 1-8. Shannon Gaels team: Conor Clancy, Conor Daly, Alan Camon, David Flynn, Adam Smyth, Ivan Hanamy (Captain), Joseph O’Connor, Pat Camon, Diarmud Shortt (0-1), Alan Kelly, Sean Kenny (0-1), Derek Loonam, Niall Wynne (1-8), Stephen Quirke (0-1), Odhrán McIntyre (0-1). Subs: Simon Og Lyons for David Flynn, Adrian Coughlan for Alan Kelly (Injured), Ricky Grogan for Niall Wynne (Injured), Paul Daly for Sean Kenny. Referee: Brian Gavin, Clara. 
Our U21 footballers Shannon Gaels were out again on Sunday last in the quarter final of the championship v Edenderry. The Gaels played with the stiff breeze in the first half, it was nip and tuck in the half with a score of four points each in the first 20 minutes. Shannon Gaels scores coming from Sean Kenny and Odhrán McIntyre both from play and Niall Wynne scored two frees. Then on the 25 minute a brilliant 50 metre pass from wing back Joseph O’Connor found Niall Wynne on the edge of the square and he scored a great goal. Edenderry tacked on two more points before half time to leave the score at the interval Shannon Gaels 1-4 Edenderry 0-6. 
The second half was backs to the wall stuff when Edenderry had a point on the board after five minutes. On the 10 minute Joseph O’Connor switched from wing back to right half forward, raced through for a great goal. Niall Wynne then pointed a 40 metre free. Edenderry responded with a point from play, then on the 20 minute Gaels left half forward Derek Loonam scored a great point from play. Shannon Gaels right half back Adam Smyth scored a great point from play and Sean Kenny who was playing a blinder at centre forward scored a brace of points from play and on the 25 minute Edenderry scored a goal, a sea of red jerseys attacked the Shannon Gaels goal rattling the cross bar in the closing minutes and just before the final whistle sounded scored a point from play to leave the score Shannon Gaels 2-9 Edenderry 1-10. The game played at the well appointed Shannon Bridge venue was a rip roaring game of football from Conor Clancy in Goals to Odhrán McIntyre at left corner forward were heroes giving their last ounce of energy to the cause. To play two games in three days was a huge ask. The GAA talks about being concerned about player burnout, St Rynaghs is a dual club and all those lads that play football also play hurling for their club, a bit of fair play and common sense would not go astray when the fixtures committee sit down to schedule matches in the future. Shannon Gaels team: Conor Clancy, Conor Daly, Alan Camon, Simon Og Lyons, Adam Smyth (0-1), Ivan Hanamy (Captain), Joseph O’Connor (1-0), Pat Camon, Diarmud Shortt, Alan Kelly, Sean Kenny (0-3), Derek Loonam (0-1), , Niall Wynne (1-3), Stephen Quirke, Odhrán McIntyre (0-1). Referee: Chartage Buckley, Clara. 
Our group in the Junior B Football Championship is as follows: Group 1 St Rynaghs, Kinnitty, Tullamore, Durrow and Dangain. Group 2 Rhode, Ferbane, Erin Rovers, Raheen and Tubber. No selectors are appointed yet for our Junior B Football Team. 
Next club meeting of our football club is on Friday night 4th March in the clubrooms at 8pm 
Our club dinner and medal presentation which was to take place on Saturday night 19th February was cancelled as a mark of respect to Tracey Buckley, Cloghan, who died after a long illness borne with great courage and dignity. St., Rynaghs Football club wish to offer heartfelt sympathy to her husband Neil, daughters Rachel and Aoibheann, Parents Noel and Brid, Sister Siobhan, Brothers Seamus and Noel and relatives. Tracey was laid to rest in High Street cemetery after requiem mass in Ferbane Church on Monday morning last, may she rest in peace.

Notes Written by Noel Rosney and Typed up by Jackie Coughlan.