News‎ > ‎Archived News‎ > ‎

St. Rynagh's Football Club Notes : 16th May

posted 15 May 2011, 14:45 by Unknown user   [ updated 2 Jan 2013, 04:41 ]
St Rynaghs U14 footballers played their 2nd game in the championship against Kilcormac-Killoughey at Mountbolus on Tuesday evening 10th May.  Heavy rain made underfoot conditions very difficult in the first half.  It was Kilcormac-Killoughey who got off to a flying start with a goal and a point both from play in the 1st 10 minutes.  Saints right half back Eoin Flynn replied with a brilliant point, midfielder Ronan Butler kicked another brilliant point and in the 20 minute a long ball into the Kilcormac-Killoughey square was pounced on by left half forward Jarlath Stevenson to rattle the Kilcormac-Killoughey twines.  The two Eoins, Flynn and Woods had a point a piece.  Kilcormac-Killoughey came back down the field to raise a white flag and just before the referee Noel Cooney’s half time whistle Saints full forward Eoin Woods scored a great opportunist goal.  Kilcormac-Killoughey replied with a 21m free to leave the score at half time St Rynaghs 2-4 Kilcormac-Killoughey 1-3.

The game was barely five minutes into the 2nd half when right half forward Ben Coneeley had the ball in the Kilcormac-Killoughey net, that left Saints with a seven point lead and there seemed no way back for the Kilcormac-Killoughey lads.  Kilcormac-Killoughey quickly responded with two points from play, but what happened in the next five minutes broke St Rynaghs hearts, two long balls from mid field ended up in the back of the St. Rynaghs net.  Kilcormac-Killoughey suddenly found their rhythm and from that to the final whistle they scored five more points from play to leave the final score St. Rynaghs 3-4 Kilcormac-Killoughey 3-10.  Kilcormac-Killoughey finished up deserving winners and some of their football in the last ten minutes was top notch.  Our lads need not be ashamed they played some great football in the first half but they will have to remember three things, “A team in possession of the ball is a team in control”, “keep their shape” and “support play is paramount in any game”.  Hopefully in the near future all the underage lads in the club will watch a coaching film of the skills of Gaelic football, it is of utmost importance in the development of their game.

Best for St Rynaghs:  Kealin Kelly had a fine game at right corner back.  Fergal Hanamy at centre back.  Ronan Butler his moments in midfield and in the forwards Eoin Woods and Ben Coneeley were most prominent.  

St. Rynaghs Team:  Conor Kelly, Kealin Kelly, Aaron Daly, Graeme Daly, Eoin Flynn 0-1, Fergal Hanamy, Andy Flynn, Owen Killian, Ronan Butler 0-1, Ben Coneeley 1-0, Ryan Buckley, Jarlath Stevenson 1-0, Enda Flynn 0-1, Eoin Woods 1-1, Danny Devery.  Subs:  Aidan Cannon for Danny Devery.  Donal Ryan for Conor Kelly.  Mark Finnegan for Jarlath Stevenson.  Ciaran Kelly for Eoin Flynn.  Ciaran Carroll for Eoin Woods.  Referee:  Noel Cooney, Erin Rovers.


Our U10 footballers played Birr in Birr in the Coiste na Nóg league on Saturday morning last.  They lost on a score-line birr 5-5 St Rynaghs 1-1.  Not taking from Birr’s fine victory the St Rynaghs lads had played Ballinamere-Durrow in the U10 hurling league on Friday evening and most of those lads had to play a football game in less than 24 hours later and the GAA in Offaly is talking about player burnout.  Dual club in Offaly are asking for a bit of fair play in those situations.  These young players are the future of Offaly GAA and need to be handled carefully, and what is happening at present is to the detriment of their development as future GAA players.


Our senior footballers played their second game in the championship against Ballycumber in Ferbane on Sunday last.  St Rynaghs played with the strong wind in the first half.  Points from Niall Wynne 0-3 Gary Mahon 0-2 and Joseph O’Connor 0-1 left the half time score St. Rynaghs 0-6 Ballycumber 0-4.  Team managers asked the lads to give it their all in the second half and that’s exactly what the lads did.  Playing against the strong wind, the saints were awarded a penalty in the 20 minute of the second half which left corner forward Niall Wynne converted to a goal.  Further points by Niall Wynne one from a 21m free and a great point from play by sub Paudie Mulhare left St Rynaghs winners by a point at the full time whistle.  St Rynaghs 1-8 Ballycumber 0-10.  Fair dues to the lads they gave it everything in the second half risking body and linb for the cause.  After the heartbreak of the Gracefield game we have our first win of the championship.  The three subs Paudie Mulhare, Sean Kenny and Ciaran Flannery made a huge difference when introduced.

St Rynaghs Team:  Gary Kelly, Tomas Flaherty, James Rafferty, Stephen Clancy, Alan Camon, Ger Rafferty (Capt), Joe Carroll, Paul Quirke, Pat McIntyre, Gary O’Connor, Gary Mahon 0-2, Joseph O’Connor 0-1, Pat Camon, Odhrán McIntyre, Niall Wynne 1-4.  Subs:  Paudie Mulhare 0-1 for Odhrán McIntyre, Sean Kenny for Pat Camon, Ciaran Flannery for Gary O’Connor.  Referee:  Damien Brazil, Shannonbridge.

Notes Written by Noel Rosney and Typed up by Jackie Coughlan.