News‎ > ‎Archived News‎ > ‎

Minor A Final St Rynaghs 1-4 Rhode Og 2-13

posted 10 Oct 2010, 16:18 by Unknown user   [ updated 2 Jan 2013, 04:35 ]
Match Report By Kevin O'Brien : Tullamore Tribune

Minor 'A' Football Championship Final : Rynagh's No Match As Rod Og Claim Two In A Row

Ród Óg........................2-13
St. Rynagh’s........................1-4

ROD Óg demonstrated the gulf in class that existed between them and the rest of the county as they strolled to a twelve point victory over St. Rynagh’s in the Minor ‘A’ final in O’Connor Park on Sunday last. In a perfect weekend for the club, during which their counterparts also claimed victory in the Senior final, Ród Óg completed back-to-back Minor titles for the third time in their history and in doing so moved level with Clara in second place in the Role of Honour with 12 championship wins at this grade to their name.

The expectations of a close encounter in this final were dashed after 20 minutes. It soon became apparent that Rynagh’s were simply not up to the challenge. In contrast, the appetite and level of intensity in Ród Óg’s performance was similar to that of their senior counterparts later on in the afternoon.

Rynaghs’ day out in O’Connor Park was an unhappy experience on Sunday as they ran into a terrific Ród Óg team that possess the stamina and the attacking ambition to push on and become the first team to win back-to-back Minor titles since Tullamore in ‘03-04. And it is well worth noting that the players from those Minor winning Tullamore teams are the backbone of the current senior side.

Johnny Brickland and Philip Foy battled well and from early on had the initiative in midfield. Ród Óg’s half-forwards began to attack with menace and created scoring opportunities throughout the game. Rynagh’s wasted a couple of opportunities late in the first-half and early in the second, when a few points would have given them hope. But when such opportunities are not taken at this level they are invariably punished, especially by a team as clinical as Ród Óg.

After 20 minutes Rynagh’s were a side shorn of confidence who seemed to run out of ideas in the final third of the pitch. They trailed by 0-6 to a single free and were let down by a forward line which relied solely on the scores of Niall Wynne. Pat Camon and other key players did not perform to their capabilities. Too often they ran into cul-de-sacs, allowing Ród Óg to turn possession over. In the second half, they hounded their victims into submission and were still full of running when Philip Foy floated a point in the 63rd minute to enhance the aesthetics in an afternoon of one-sided football.

When the match hung in the balance, it was Paul McPadden who directed the traffic for Ród Óg and won some crucial frees for Stephen O’Connell to convert. Indeed, O’Connell’s reliability from placed balls ensured Ród Óg had a steady supply of scores at all times. Elsewhere, Cian Donohoe had a storming match from centre-forward, scoring 1-1. There was, however, an early period in the game where Ród Óg hesitated to put Rynagh’s away. O’Connell’s frees kept them in front but Rynagh’s reduced the gap to two points after 25 minutes when Niall Wynne converted a penalty after Conor McNamee rose a ball from the ground in the penalty area.

Ród Óg senses the danger of a comeback and doubled their lead before the interval. The starkest statistic is that Rynagh’s failed to score from play in the entire match. Ten minutes into the second-half, the door was well and truly shut on a comeback with a devasting tally of 2-2. Paul McPadden, blisteringly direct in his approach, buried a goal inside twenty seconds of the restart and Donohoe did likewise after 39 minutes with a powerful effort from 14m. Ród Óg’s absolute conviction was exceptional and in a side with nine players on the 2010 Offaly minor panel, they had the guile and class to stretch the lead to twelve points by the finish.

Ród Óg started off well with a score each from McPadden and Philip Foy inside the opening five minutes. Niall Wynne responded with a free for St. Rynagh’s but Ród Óg’s dominance continued with four points, three frees from O’Connell and a score from McPadden. St. Rynagh’s were awarded a penalty in the 25h minute when Eoin Rigney dropped a high ball inside the square and Conor McNamee picked the ball clean off the ground in the square. Niall Wynne fired the spot kick into the top corner of the net.

A late couple of scores from O’Connell and Donal Hickey had Ród Óg  0-8 to 1-1 ahead at half-time. Paul McPadden’s goal twenty seconds after the restart propelled Ród Óg further in front. The Offaly minor took a hand-pass from Cathal Nolan and sped through before drilling into the net. Niall Wynne sent over a free for Rynagh’s but Hickey and Donohoe responded with a score each. Then Donohoe added a fantastic goal from the 14m line when his speculative effort found the roof of the net after 40 minutes.

A brace of frees from Niall Wynne shortened the gap somewhat but Ród Óg had the final say with scores from Paul McPadden and Foy.

The scorers:

Ród Óg: Paul McPadden (1-3); Cian Donohoe (1-1); Stephen O’Connel (0-4f); Donal Hickey, Philip Foy (0-2 each).
St. Rynagh’s: Niall Wynne (1-4; 0-3f, 1-0 pen).

The teams:

RÓD ÓG: Paul Coates; James McPadden; Eoin Rigney, Conor McNamee; Thomas Mooney, Stephen Hannon, Darragh Barr; Philip Foy, Johnny Brickland; Paul McPadden, Cian Donohoe, Cathal Nolan; Thomas Dowling, Donal Hickey, Stephen O’Connell. Subs: Christy McGuire (for Donal Hickey, 41 mins); William Molloy (for Darragh Barr, 53mins); Dean Morriss (for Cian Donohoe, 63 mins).

ST. RYNAGH’S: Conor Clancy; Conor Daly, Alan Camon, David Flynn; Ethan Mannion, Joseph O’Connor, Simon Óg Lyons; Pat Camon, Alan Kelly; Adam Smith, Sean Kenny, Derek Loonam; David Fogarty, Niall Wynne, Stephen Quirke. Subs: Rory Wynne (for Ethan Mannion, 28 mins); Paul Daly (for David Fogarty, 55 mins); David Horan (for Conor Daly, 55 mins).

REFEREE: Fergal Smyth (Kilclonfert).

Minor A Final vs Rhode Og in O'Connor Park Tullamore.