History‎ > ‎Match Reports‎ > ‎


Senior Football Championship Saturday June 1st 1991 Daingean 0-11 St. Rynagh’s 0-7

Missed Penalty Proves Vital

A missed penalty by Offaly dual star, Michael Duignan, midway through the second half, cost St. Rynagh’s the chance of getting off to a winning start in the SFC at O’Connor Park on Saturday evening. The penalty which was needlessly conceded when Peadar O’Grady handled on the ground, was driven to the left and wide by Duignan at a stage in the game when it would have given St. Rynagh’s a two points lead.

Daingean took maximum advantage of that let off and went on to win reasonably comfortably on an 0-11 to 0-7 scoreline. Though had the penalty been converted it would have probably inspired St. Rynagh’s, Daingean deserved their victory. 

Severely Under Strength

St. Rynagh’s were severely under strength, being forced to line out minus seven players who could expect to have been there or thereabouts on the team. Offaly U-21 star Enda Mulhare was probably the biggest loss. In the opening round of the championship Daingean had kicked away the chance of a surprise victory over K/K. For a while on Saturday it appeared they were going to give an encore. Playing with the wind in the first half, some wild kicking, meant they had a lot to do in the second half. Particularly was Paul Jordan. 

Daingean would have only had themselves to blame if they had lost. At half-time they led by 0-5 to 0-3. This lead should have been bigger. They were in hard luck not to have goaled in the 10th minute when a shot from the excellent Sean McEvoy bounced over for a point off the cross bar. Daingean turned in a fine second half performance in which they more than held their own against the wind. St. Rynaghs’s failed to take advantage of the wind. Daingean responded to the missed penalty with four points in the closing ten minutes. Daingean did have a late scare in the 29th minute when Sean McEvoy brilliantly plucked a Pascal Healy punch from under the post with keeper, Alan O’Reilly well beaten. 

How They Played

Daingean owe a massive debt of gratitude to centre half back, Sean McEvoy, for this victory. McEvoy was head and shoulders above every else on the field. He handled his defensive duties with ease and also lent vital support to the attack. McEvoy, on Saturday, looked a class player. Keeper, Alan O’Reilly, Greg Corcoran and Willie Kennedy, before going off injured late in the game, also excelled in defence. Ciaran Carey had a fine game in midfield. He really came into the game in the second half. Martin Daly had a good game at centre half forward. He, too, did most of his best work in the second half. Brendan Donagher and Paul Jordan also featured prominently in the forward line. One of the disappointments of the game was the performance of Darren Hanlon at full forward. Hanlon has been gaining a bit of a reputation as a ‘super sub’ in recent weeks but he failed to make any impact when on from the start on Saturday.

Best for St. Rynagh’s

St. Rynagh’s had no really outstanding player. Michael Duignan would normally have been expected to fulfil that role but he had an unusually quiet game on Saturday. In the closing 15 minutes Duignan’s superior fitness began to tell and he made some inroads into the Daingean defence but in general he was tightly marked by two or
three players whenever he looked like causing trouble.  Paddy Dolan and John Daly impressed in defence. Jessie Devery made the bigger impact in midfield. Garry Daly, Pascal Healy and Noel Molloy were best in an average attack that badly missed Enda Mulhare.

The Scoring

St. Rynagh’s took the lead in the 2nd minute when Gerry Daly pointed. John F. Kennedy missed a scoreable free in the 4th minute. He made amends two minutes later when he equalised after rounding Kieran Egan. Jessie Devery regained the lead for St. Rynagh’s for the final time in the 7th minute. Their lead was short lived when Sean
McEvoy pointed via the crossbar in the 10th minute. Daingean ended a three minute drought when Paul Jordan made up for some blatant misses by giving Daingean the lead for the first time in the 13th minute. St. Ryangh’s
got on level terms for the final time in the 16th minute when John Daly pointed. A Martin Daly pointed free after a foul on Brendan Donagher was followed by another infection of squandermania. Brendan Donagher closed the first half scoring with a fisted point in the 31st minute. Daingean 0-5, St. Rynagh’s 0-3 

Michael Duignan moved to midfield at the start of the second half. Both sides stuck with each other score for score in the opening 20 minutes. Pascal Healy opened with a well worked point in the 6th minute. Brendan Donagher cancelled this out with a fine point in the 8th minute after a Ciaran Carey pass. Daingean keeper, Alan O’Reilly,
magnificently deflected a Tony McIntyre shot over the bar in the 9th minute. Ciaran Carey availed of a poor clearance to reopen a two points lead in the 12th minute. Noel Molloy reduced the margin to the minimum in the 14th minute after Pascal Healy was blocked down. In the 17th minute Michael Duignan missed a penalty.

Daingean punished St. Rynagh’s to the hilt for that misdemeanour, adding points from Paul Jordan, Ciaran Carey, John F. Kennedy and Martin Daly (free) in a blistering five minute spell. St. Rynagh’s had replied with a solitary point from a Pat Molloy free in the 22nd minute.

St. Rynaghs – J. Daly, J. Devery, P. Molloy (free), N. Molloy, G. Daly, P. Healy & T. McIntyre 0-1 each
Daingean –M. Daly (all frees), C. Carey, P. Jordan, B. Donagher & J.F. Kennedy 0-2 each, Sean McEvoy 0-1 (free).

St. Rynaghs: Stephen Finneran, Brian Daly, Paddy Dolan, Kieran Egan, Mark Devery, Michael Duignan, John Daly, Jessie Devery, Martin Healy, Pat Molloy, Noel Molloy, Garry Daly, Pat Regan, Pascal Healy, Tony McIntyre. Sub – Raymond Cannon for Martin Healy.

Daingean: Alan O’Reilly, Peader O’Grady, Greg Corcoran, Willie Kennedy, Seamus McEvoy, Sean McEvoy, J.J. Hanlon, Brendan Reynolds, Ciaran Carey, Paul Jordan, Martin Daly, Brendan Donagher, John F. Kennedy, Darren Hanlon, Sean T. Farrell. Subs – Ger Galvin for Sean T. Farrell, Mattie Corcoran for Willie Kennedy (inj.)

Referee: Noel Cooney (Erin Rovers)

Match Report from http://www.daingeangaa.ie